Magic and the Otherworld mostly

From: nilsw_at_ibm.net
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 96 22:58:47 +0000

Michael R:
>I am of the opinion that every living creature carries a piece of the
>otherworld within. That's why they have POW.

Or, as Red Tiger would say:

"You are the world, and the world is you.

There is no otherworld, just a continuum of seen and unseen, just as everything is the whole by being part of the whole.

But you must find the solution to the paradoxes for yourself."

Mark Smylie:
>In glancing over Nils' YAHQS (thanks for sending it to me, Nick) it
>occured to me that his system could perhaps be adopted in some
>fashion to represent the functions of a calendrical festival system
>If the community's magical rating was less than the ritual's
>difficulty rating, then Bad Things would happen
etc.

That's a really good idea. I will think hard on it and add it to the list of cool stuff which have come up from other people reading YAHQS so that it can get into the next version.

Lots have been said about the secrets and mysteries of Gloranthan religions. I won't quote since I can't decide exactly what to quote, but I came to think of another case of being taught the "secrets".

In order for foreigners to be allowed to travel freely in Kralorela they must first spend an entire year in Lur Nop. My guess is that that is the time needed to teach them the mysteries of the emperor's cult, so that they can contribute to Kralorela's spiritual wealth and not disturb the flow of magic of the land.

For that reason I also think there is a specific Exarch of Foreigners who focuses the worship of the foreigners. This is probably one of the least prestigious exarchical positions, just a step above Governor of Ignorance.

| Nils Weinander          	| Everything is dust in the wind
| Office: nils_at_carasoft.se	|
| Home: nilsw_at_ibm.net     	|
| WWW: http://www.angelfire.com/pages1/nilsw/index.html

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #72