More Winter Stuff

From: Michael Raaterova <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 17:13:03 +0100

Mark on midwinter

>Actually, I suspect part of the problem here may be a YG/MG thing, in that I
>tend to interpret the midwinter festival as specifically Sun-related -- as
>the shortest day, when the Sun is weakest, though this may be too RW in
>nature

I think midwinter is non-specifically related to a cluster of things and deities. Culturally it could very well be related to a specific phenomenon and/or deity. I just don't see orlanthi relating it to the Sun/Yelm more than to Fertility/Ernalda.

Midwinter could also be a major Ulerian HD - Uleria is a great comfort for the people working together to endure the season of Hate and Fear. I have a simmering idea that Uleria could be Ginna Jar, the wyter spirit of the LBQ. Uleria could well be the deity of wyter spirits.

From an orlanthi PoV i think the ritual progression of winter goes something like this:

(Ernalda Festival: one of the rituals is the appearance and defeat of the Herald of Winter)

Smallfire Festival
1) Ernalda is wounded by [an appropriate Bad Guy] and begins her descent into hell. Lots of rituals from Mahome and the Earth Sisters to make her descent less painful. Lighting of the Winter Fires.

During the first half of winter
2) Ernalda's husband and various co-protectors go fight the forces of winter to weaken their ability to torment Ernalda, but will be opposed by Gagarth's Wild Hunt.

Midwinter
3) Ernalda in Hell. Propitiation rituals to winter deities to mitigate Ernalda's suffering. Minlister's Mourning Feast and the beginning of the Ghosting. Ty Kora Tek and Asrelia protects Ernalda from being devoured by Undeath and Void.

During the second half
4) Ernalda's protectors scout the Underworld in preparation for the Quest. Issaries and Odayla pathfinder rituals.

Thunder Week
5) the LBQ, where the Ernaldabringers incidentally make the Compromise with Yelm and promise to fight chaos together. Voria, spring's herald, appear to bring the good news of Ernalda's imminent return.

(Sacred Time: All the world fight chaos together.)

Obviously there are lots of rituals that i haven't included, mostly because i haven't figured them or their myths out yet. I kinda hoped i could get some input from the digest.