The Lunar Hoplite Spears and other stuff....

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 00:56:06 GMT

Nick Brooke offered another Lunar ditty:

> THE LUNAR PHALANGITES
>
> Some talk of Urvarainus
> And some of Murharzarm;
> Of General Daxdarius
> Who did his foes such harm.
>
> But of all Glorantha's heroes
> There's none who'd stand and fight
> In the face of the crush of the shield-wall rush
> Of a Lunar Phalangite!
>
> Tune: The British Grenadiers
> Words: Nick Brooke

Great minds think alike Nick. My campaign had the following incomplete ditty at one stage:

Some talk of Yelm and Humakt
And of lesser deities
Of Polestar and of Arkat
And Champions such as these

But of all such Gods And Heroes
There's none that rouse such fears
With a rah! A huzzah!
And a chish-boom-wah!
As the Lunar Hoplite Spears....

I seem to recall the second verse
("They make Storm Bull Berserkers
  Break right down in tears....")
got a very hostile reception from my stoutly Orlanthi players.

To repeat some questions I sent in which don't seem to have reached the list:

  1. What are the Ygg's Islanders doing so far away from the other Air worshippers?
  2. Does anyone have a date for the birth of Argrath?
  3. Anyone have any idea how common Vadeli raiders are in the Western oceans?

Oh, and thanks to MOB for his kind words on my performance as Gordius. I don't think however that under the circumstances "Oh, fuck" was out of character (and if I'd only realised that the cleaning lady was the Trickster and she was using a spell on me I might have got away with things after all.... Never did get to use that Reflection....)

And what is wrong with fried bread? And what did you think it was anyway?

(Fried in bacon fat till light brown: a feast fit for an Emperor....)

AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop of the Far Isles Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistando (Resistance is Uslesss) Ask me about the Far Isles Medieval Society: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.