Vadeli; Coders

From: MOBTOTRM_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 10:43:58 +1000

G'day all,

The Vadeli

Mike Cule, actor and genius, asks:

>Just some things you can maybe help me with:

>3) Has anyone done anything on the Vadeli? Their culture and how likely
>someone sailing the seas around Loskalm is to encounter them?

Pope Jim Chapin posed a similar question a while back; here's what I can add to this topic:

>...how can a regular human tell a Brithini from a Vadeli?

If Glorantha was in the Star Trek universe, no doubt by the curious lump of latex on their foreheads...

Jim (and Mike) will be no doubt intrigued by comments in the diary of St Theoblanc the Martyr, Rokari Pope at the 7th Council in Sog City:

"It was on the way home from Honest Babdil's Virgin Megastore in the Vadeli Quarter that I heard from one of my chair-men more about the vile Vadeli and their loathsome reproductive practices. However, I was suffering from a surfeit of duff Arktanian Oysters at the time, which may have unhinged my mind as they had certainly unhinged my bowels. But why is it though, that "birthing chamber" and "privy" are one-in-the-same word in the Vadeli language?"

Yep, Vadeli are shat into the world, at least that's what Western prejudice tells us; and presumably their method of reproduction is equally abominable.

Just as HotB could be described as the bastard child of 'Braveheart' and 'Life of Brian', to me the Vadeli are something like the Ferringi in 'Star Drek' and Shylock in 'Merchant of Venice'.

The Coders

Paul notes:
> Count Julan and his Coders, from _Strangers in Prax_. The presence of
> these folks seems to make the whole Lunar Empire less of a black/white
> issue.

Which was the intention; there are no cheap reasons to hate them, other than they are Lunars.

Nick:
>I feel the Coders are morally compromised by the ambiguity of their
>position: as anti-Chaotics trying to represent the Lunar Empire, but
>knowing they're unrepresentative.

Come on Nick, as you said yourself ('RQ Con Compendium'), the Lunars will tell you "Chaos is an entirely safe energy source...If safely used it has veritable military application. In normal life in the Lunar Empire you will expect to be exposed to a minimum amount of background chaos. Those people who get two heads or three arms or whatever, they just won't take precautions. Follow the manual and you'll be fine: Just say no. Chaos Powers? No Thanks!"

We have the technology to lick the waste disposal problem. We'll clean up Dorastor any time now.

Cheers

MOB