mundane trivia

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 15:02:55 +1200

David Dunham:

>I'm not quite sure what the primitive predecessor to sorcery was like.
>Perhaps there really wasn't one, and it's an inherent power of Brithini
>which was stolen by humans. It may have been much like the Pelorian magic,
>and evolved away from personalized powers.

I imagine primitive sorcery was a reaction against the ecstatic magical traditions that the people of Brithos had before. This philosophy ultimately gave rise to the Kingdom of Logic. The basic elements of this were codified in the Blue Book.

Speaks about his glorantha site:

>For what it's worth, it's unlikely to move Net
>addresses in the forseeable future, and I

Hopefully won't get bumped of by the Gift Carriers?

Mike Cule:

>1) Does anyone have a birth date, approximate or otherwise, for Argrath?

A Garrath is mentioned as being young in the Garhound Contest in 'Sun County' coupled with a specific year in which he won it (1604?).

>2) Can anyone explain what the Ygg's Island Vikings, variant Orlanathi, are
>doing waaaaay over there, far away from the main body of Orlanthi culture?

I think they are independant Storm Worshippers rather than migrating Orlanthi. They know their Storm God Ygg is be the son of the Great Glacier. Orlanth (or rather the Orlanthi Storm Traditions) was introduced at a late date by either the followers of Talor or the God Learners (worship him or we'll kick your teeth in). They would know of Orlanth but assign him some secondary role within their pantheon.

>Has anyone done any background on them?

use Vikings?

>3) Has anyone done anything on the Vadeli? Their culture and how likely
>someone sailing the seas around Loskalm is to encounter them?

The Brown Vadeli have to eat their children, sleep with their mothers and sisters and commit other enormities to fuel their immortality spells. They organize themselves into families which have two degrees of seperation. Depsite this, the families are very large. They are common in the Neleomi Sea as traders and very polite ones they are too. Too polite say some.

The Red Vadeli commit enormities on other people to fuel their immortality spells and their stat-enhancing spells. If you see them, run very fast. They are pirates who have no mercy. It is thought that they organize themselves into families like the browns but investigating scholars tend to be eaten. Some ships are to be found around Loskalm but they are more likely to be found raiding non-Vadeli Traffic between Seshnela and Jrustela and from Jrustela to Pamaltela.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #76