Yggs Islanders/Seasonal calendars

From: SimonPhipp_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 21:15:44 -0400

Michael Cule asks:

>2) Can anyone explain what the Ygg's Island Vikings, variant Orlanathi, are
>doing waaaaay over there, far away from the main body of Orlanthi culture?

Ygg is the son of Valind, Orlanth's brother. So, the Ygg's Islanders are officially part of the Orlanthi culture. However, they are definitley non-standard, being sailors and having access to the Wolf Ships. I would guess that they are unlike any other Orlanthi you will ever meet.

> 3) Has anyone done anything on the Vadeli? Their culture and how likely
> someone sailing the seas around Loskalm is to encounter them?

The Lonely Lozenge Guide to Sog City mentions the Vadeli. They are in another supplement either from the Megacorp or RQ Society stable, but I can't remember which one. As far as I know, the Vadeli are a pale shadow of their former selves, only recently becoming more powerful because of the ending of the Closing and the discovery of the Red Vadeli.

Hmm, have just read the Vadeli info from Nick Brooke et al. Fascinating stuff, they sound really meaty, has anyone ever run a campaign set around Vadeli PCs?

Someone called Mark posted a set of generic Seasonal Calendars, very intersting. That is what the God Learners used to do. First of all you look at some cults, then you take their Holy Day festivals and work out the important parts, then you add those things which you think should be there and finally impose those festivals onto other cults.

Generic festivals are all very well, but I perfer to have specific festivals for each cult. So, Ernalda, Asrelia and Aldrya all have High Holy Day festivals during Fertility Week/Earth Season and are all Earth Cults, but their festivals would be very dissimilar.

Still, bravo for having a go.

Cragspider

Cragspider started off as a Nymph (Dragon Pass) in the Rockwoods around Dagori Inkarth. I think she was a Hag who gained fire powers during the Darkness and underwent the Ritual of Rebirth to become a Troll. As she had gained Mastery over Fire, she could not become a Mistress Race Troll (the Fire had burned too far into her) and so she became a Dark Troll. However, this is all supposition and I would really like to know more.

By the way, thanks to the chappie who told me that he had loads of info on Cragspider and that I could whistle for it. Well, I am whistling............

Bye for now

Simon