rituals and such

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 01:48:16 +0800

        Why do the Orlanthi support Sun rituals? Or Dark Season rituals?

        Partly they do it because it fits their own mythic pattern. If they didn't do the midwinter rituals of Orlanth killing Yelm, thus bringing on the winter, then their Sacred Time rituals of rescueing Yelm wouldn't work properly, and then they probably wouldn't rescue Ernalda properly either, and the world would go to hell in a handbasket, or something like that. Similarly, they have to support the return of the Sun, because its what Orlanth did.

        On the more practical reasons - they support the sun because they want to be warm, and because (lack of SunRipen notwithstanding) sun helps plants grow. They support winter because they want it to be wet.

The Lunar winter rituals according to Nick

>Most of them participate in the usual Dara Happan or Pelorian midwinter
>rites, of course, while a small select band of heroes embark on the Kalikos
>Icebreaker mission to beat back the gods of Storm and Ice and help make the
>winter less severe.

        Probably many of the rituals are effectively support rituals for the heroquest parties. Note that the Kalikos cult, while originally Pelandan, has probably spread due to being state supported.

Nick on recent Gloranthan sources
>My advice would be to avoid the recent, non-RuneQuest publications "King of
>Sartar", "The Glorious ReAscent of Yelm" and "The Entekosiad" first time out:
>these books contain a fair amount of obscure mythical stuff which would be hard

        I'll agree with Nick on the last two (not only are they very hard to relate to games directly, they are pretty difficult to make sense of - I've been compiling my notes onto my web pages, and in the process discovering how much of it still is unclear to me, after thorough reading and discussion).

        But King of Sartar, while including lots of obscure mythical stuff, also contains a reasonable amount of very practical stuff about Orlanthi society. And I think the heroic saga style stuff, while not directly useful in play, is certainly one of Glorantha's big attractions.

        Cheers

                David