Big Fights; Big Secrets

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 29 Jul 96 03:59:16 EDT

John asks:

> Who would win a fight between the Red Vadeli and the Wolf Pirates/Yggites?

Without PCs' or Harrek's intervention, the Vadeli would win hands-down. This is one of those "who can stop the Kingdom of War" questions: the Red Vadeli outclass their opponents so terrifyingly that there's no real question about who would win, in the absence of random third party interest. All else being equal, Sauron would have won the War of the Ring: believing otherwise is futile and dangerous. Without Heroes, the world will go to pot: that's why we game in the Hero Wars period.

Simon writes:

> Most of the things that we see in Cult Writeups are not secrets. They are
> common knowledge, or at least are known by lay members or initiates of
> associated cults.

Reminds me of a fun thing I heard about once for Sun County. The PCs (new to Glorantha) were brought up as kids with all of the bright side of Yelmalion mythology: they were taught to dislike Trolls, but without any tangible reasons to do so. Then, at their initiation, they relived the bushwhacking and theft of Fire (etc.) -- and after that, they *really* hated Trolls. It became personal, for them. I thought this was a GREAT thing to do to Gloranthan newcomers.

> By the way, thanks to the chappie who told me that he had loads of info on
> Cragspider and that I could whistle for it. Well, I am whistling............

Keep it up :-)

Nick