Re: Valind; copyright

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 09:50:47 -0700

Michael Raaterova wrote:

> The extent of the active courting of
> Valind results in the rune spell of Snow, so i guess it's not so active
> after all.

I imagine in Sweden there's seldom a problem having enough snow. I seem to recall that a recent low-snow winter in Alaska had lots of people worrying. Not only wouldn't there be a snow pack to feed the rivers in the following seasons, but a blanket of snow protects many of the plants from cold temperatures. And the lack of snow also meant that animals could nibble on the normally-protected lower growth and kill it off (someone who knows more about winter wheat could tell us if this extrapolates to crops).

And while this isn't the Orlanthi purpose, think about what would happen to Dara Happa if there wasn't sufficient snow in Dragon Pass. (Hint: trace the Oslir back to its source.)

On the other hand, perhaps this is why only grown-ups are religious initiates. Children *always* want more snow.

David Boatright (now freed of the WINMAIL.DAT curse!) wrote

> I was not talking about 'published' sources. I think most of the
> people on the list are probably like me, i.e. buying stuff that they
> already have to support RQ\Glorantha e.g. Apple Lane, Snakepipe Hollow
> and Wyrms Footprints. And are you telling me the RMM crew don't fire
> Greg and Sandys unpublished stuff amongst themselves.

I can't speak for the Reaching Moon folk, though Greg has sometimes sent me stuff with explicit permission to distribute among my gaming group.

I'm not sure if by "not published" you mean "in print" or "not yet in print." And I don't know how British copyright law varies (though there are common international conventions). A final caveat: I'm not a lawyer, but since my livelihood depends on intellectual property laws, I've tried to stay current on them.

If Greg Stafford has published something Gloranthan, it will remain in copyright until at least the year 2040. And even if he has not yet published it, he retains the copyright, which lasts just as long (this protects authors who submit manuscripts to publishers). According to <http://www.benedict.com/fund.htm>, "almost any original expression that is fixed in a tangible form is protected as soon as it is expressed," so even Greg's handwritten notes are copyrighted, even if they aren't marked with the circle-c. And copyright means that only Greg can decide how his work is distributed.

BTW David I don't mean to single you out -- I have the impression that there are many out there who also wishfully think they can do whatever they like with a scanner or xerox. Unless the laws in your country are radically different, it's not true.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> NO ZUKES! Stop zucchini proliferation.