No Sacred Time LBQ!

From: Michael Raaterova <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 01:40:10 +0100

Mark:

>I agree with David Dunham that the Lightbringers' Festival occurs during the
>Sacred Time

C'mon - the most important ritual time of the year is not about resurrecting dead gods, it's about reforging the whole world and defending it against chaos. I know that the resurrection of Ernalda of Yelm were necessary prerequisites for the IFWW, though - i'm not trying to slag the LBQ's importance.

What was Orlanth's greatest quest? If it wasn't the LBQ, i don't know what it could be. And when should his greatest triumph be celebrated? That's right - his HHD. Why would Orlanth's birth be the most important thing to celebrate? Was that the peak of his achievements?

And when we consider the Ernalda and Yelm myths, they are both at their weakest in midwinter, which is the time when Orlanth decides to make things right. So he performs his quest and leads Yelm and Ernalda back from the dead, makes the compromise so they could stand united against chaos, and create the world anew from the ashes of the old.

There are pretty few universal [myth-]phenomena, but Sacred Time and IFWW are both universal, which, frex, the LBQ is not. Sure, Yelm got resurrected all over the lozenge, but not everyone agrees on how he pulled that trick.

If you still think the LBQ is a Sacred Time pastime, i'd very much like to see the arguments ('it feels right' isn't the kind of arguments i'd like to see).