Red Vadeli & more

From: nilsw_at_ibm.net
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 96 21:19:24

Martin Laurie wrote an excellent essay on the RV which made me shudder. Broo seem like nice guys in comparison. In Martin writes:

>The KoW feeds on War
>
>The Red Videli feed on Suffering
>
>If the two groups ever meet over a few beers and get pally, watch out >Glorantha,
>Armageddon is here.

You know, this may be the key to stopping both the KoW and the RV. It's not likely you'll survive doing it, but getting these lovelies to hate each other and duke it out just might result in their mutual annihilation.

Tim Torres on Kralorela:
>Nils or Sandy or anyone else in the know on Kralorelan mysticism ... would a
>one-use mystical poem be imbued with specific mystic effects or simply allow
>the user to concentrate more mystic energy to create greater effects with
>his/her own mystic talents? (In spirit magic terms, would it be more like a
>spell matrix or more like a POW-storing crystal?)

I don't know how Sandy runs it, but my view is that it's like a one-use matrix. A really powerful poem may include the magic points too.

>I would expect most of Kralorela to be short on
>"monsters" except by the action of the intelligent races.I would also
>expect chaos to be very uncommon.

I agree. This of course makes the rare Huan To sighting the more scary for the common people. As for chaos, it is insidious and can show up anywhere. I think that the chaos in Kralorela is more of the hidden, seducing and corrupting kimd than the openly violent and obvious. You know, corrupt mandarins getting involved with secret cults like Thanatar or Krarsht or some eastern counterparts to better their chances for choice promotions etc.

Michael R:
>Isn't the LBQ the pinnacle not only for Orlanth, but also for CA, LM and
>Issaries?

An important thing yes, pinnacle no. CA, LM & I are the sidekicks in the LBQ. Their main, defining myths should be about them primarily.

Michael again:
>Nils has troubles with which people practice primitive magic.
>
>If we first rename primitive magic to 'low' or 'petty' magic is easy to see
>which cultures use it. As there are no knowledge criteria for practicing
>petty magic, i don't see why every culture shouldn't practice it.

  1. What David described didn't look like petty magic to me.
  2. The "primitive" magic seemed to be these peoples' only magic.

This was after all a continuation of the wild magic thing.

Weinander            | Everything is dust in the wind Home:
nilsw_at_ibm.net       |

Office: nils_at_carasoft.se |
WWW: http://www.angelfire.com/pages1/nilsw/index.html