Aardvarks in RQ

From: RobStoll_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 17:50:37 -0400

David Cake said:

> * the use of the phrase 'peasants and livestock' comes from Cerebus, High
> Society. Has anyone else thought of using Cerebus for a source for
> Gloranthan stuff? I think my Yelmic campaign will drawn on it fairly
> heavily for inspiration, High Society and Church and State at any rate.

Actually, I was going to work up a short Aardvark scenario, which involves a group of hearty warriors going on a raid for the Earth Pig Mother priestess/shaman to steal eggs from a Trollish Gorakiki-Termite mound. I might have a runnable game for RQ Con Chicago, but I'm not positive - Chaos is taking over my life again, so I'll have to wait and see...

RQ stats for Cerebus-like Aardvarks appear in an article called "Aardvarks in Fantasy Gaming: When Strikes an Earth Pig Born!" by Paul Jaquays (*). The article appeared in the November/December 1979 issue of the Judge's Guild magazine "The Dungeoneer" ("The Number One GM Fanzine" *sigh* those were the days), which was a big RQ special issue. Paul's stats were fine, but he provided no cultural context for Aardvarks (as there is for Ducks, Aldryami, etc.), said they worship no gods, and use no magic. Feh. Not in my Glorantha. The scenario idea I mention above is the easy part of what I intend to do, the hard thing is to do a write-up for Aardvark background and cults (Tarim? erm, maybe. The Earth Pig Mother? YES!).

(*) This article appears right after Paul's review of "Snakepipe Hollow". There is also a cult write-up for Uleria by Steve Marsh, a short RQ scenario called "Stand and Hold" by Robert K. Bingham, and a description of three different critters by Greg Stafford. Do I win a special mention for obscure/OOP RQ source referencing? :)

robert

"Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Tattulhu Fantasy Island wagh'nagl fhtagn." "In his house at Fantasy Island dead Tattoo waits dreaming." (trans.)

Ia! Ia! Tattulhu fhtagn! The guest stars are right!