Vaporised Post - Leaves Me Cold; Vadeli

From: MOBTOTRM_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 21:46:19 +1000

G'day all,

Somehow I think this post ended up as vapour on V3 #85. My apologies if it has since appeared and now you're getting it again (with a few minor adjustments, as it turns out)

Leaves Me Cold

M.Smylie writes:

>Watching MOB delurk to slam David Boatright, I was initially going to avoid
>commenting at all, particularly in that as a _non_established poster who
>regularly makes lengthy reference to RW scholarship I assume that I am
>someone that contributes to the "pedantic, academic esoterica" that leaves
>MOB cold.

Please don't read me wrong. I am essentially a Gloranthan *gamer*, rooted in the period 1610-25. I am by no means a Gloranthan historian, mythographer or erstwhile academic, nor claim to be: MGF is my area of interest! While I do find a lot of what's going on here dry and sometimes tedious, I am in no way trying to stop you. That's what the contents list is for, and if my eyes start to glaze over, I just move on to the next article. No, the point I was making that was that newcomers shouldn't necessarily feel lost and alone when they find material here difficult to understand, 'cos I for one often do too, and I've been around here since the days Andrew Bell was running the group.

Red Vadeli

Martin Laurie:
>Various comments have been made about the Red Videli. I played one as
>a Lunar recruit in MOBs Rune Metal Jacket run by Neil Robinson in May
>at the Seattle Mini-Con. He'd been shipwrecked, lost his memory and the
>poor lunars thought his Red Skin indicated some kind of holy status.
>Big mistake.

(Please, this is a good-natured dig, but why does it not surprise me to learn Martin played a Red Vadeli?)

>Anyway, the play of the character set me thinking about them and here's a
>few things I concluded:

Martin goes on to provide us with WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION about the loathsome practices of the Red Vadeli, which nontheless has a good Gloranthan feel to it.

>Being a Red Videli is simply a matter of having a twisted soul.

Not sure if I go along with this though. I think Red Vadeli are born (and must have Red Vadeli parents), not created (like vampires).

>I also believe that unlike the other castes, there are no female Red Videli.

I have already speculated on the rumoured vile reproductive methods of the Browns. I like the idea that they are as close to human-looking as possible (with perhaps a curious lump of latex on their foreheads like in Star Drek), because this makes their various abominable practices closer to home and therefore even more repellant to right-thinking people. I guess there should be both male and female Browns then. Just make sure you don't get asked over to dinner at Mr and Mrs Abdelcar's...

BTW, do Gloranthans yet realise the Browns and Reds are of the same vile race? There is little to suggest they are kin, except that Brown Ships are never attacked by the fearsome Red Pirates. Maybe the clue is despite the difference in skin colour, both have the same weird brows?

Durupt Jean:

>My own heretical opinion about the Vadeli.

Liked this a lot!

>Sooner or later someone will find the way toward Brithos. One good
>candidate his one of the captains who went with Argrath around
>the world.
>His reward will be to find the blue Vadeli ...

Arrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

MOB