Raaterova pt. 2

From: Arkat_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 12:03:20 -0400

Mr. Raaterova first starts off his latest discussion by talking about when Spring starts:

>As far as i know from Nick's dates of the equinoxes and solstices, the
>vernal equinox falls smack dab in the middle of Sacred Time. Spring, as i
>know it, doesn't begin after the equinox, but sometime between midwinter
>and the vernal equinox. That means that the mundane Spring begins before
>Sacred Time

Ok, two things.

  1. As I understand it, for Glorantha to have Solsti, the Glorantha lozenge would have to face the Sun at an angle so that at certain times during the year some parts of Glorantha would receive more direct sunlight than at other times. And to have Equinoxi, Glorantha has to have an "equator" for the Sun's path to cross as it heads towards the position it holds on the Solsti a quarter of a year later. As I do not take Nick Brooke's (or anyone else's for that matter) word as gospel truth until Greg sez "Ok that sounds right to me. Publish it." I will not recognize the existence of Equinoxi or Solsti. After all, Glorantha is a magical place and the existence of the seasons can be justified in other ways besides RW explanations for seasons.
  2. Please address the clear and concise explanation of the seasons as described on pg 4 of Cults of Prax. You must be able to refute this official published source for your argument to hold water.

Mike then talks about Voria:

>(even if Full Spring, Voria, wasn't born until after the IFWW).

What is your source for this?

According to KoS pg 67, Voria was born at least once before when the earth first peeped above the ancient sea. Also, according to KoS pg 89, Voria was apparently born again at the Dawning after the Return. The description of Voria on pg 53 of Wyrm's Footprints also seems to support this statement. Therefore, the rebirth of Voria (the Spring Virgin) signals the first day of Spring and since she was born at the Dawning, she was born at the very end of the LBQ. You must therefore be able to say that the Dawning begins in Storm Season and if you read "The Parts of the Year" in CoP, I really don't think you can say that Spring begins in Storm Season.

Mike also talks about a festival:

>The Thunder Festival marks the passage from Winter to
>Spring, and Spring begins when Orlanth and Yelm agrees to friendship.

Who the hell made this up? If it ain't in an official (by official I mean Chaosium-approved) published source, it ain't so for the rest of us (unless some of you other guys buy into this load of crap). As far as I'm concerned, if there is a Thunder Festival, in my game it would be a week or so of what it was like during the Storm Age and it would be celebrated by some pretty zealous Orlanthi.

John Brown
Arkat_at_aol.com