Sundry and all

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 10:51:43 +1200

MOB:

>BTW, do Gloranthans yet realise the Browns and Reds are of the same vile race?
>There is little to suggest they are kin, except that Brown Ships are never
>attacked by the fearsome Red Pirates. Maybe the clue is despite the
>difference in skin colour, both have the same weird brows?

There is the slight matter of mythical record. The Brithini and Malkioni had fought against the Vadeli and would have some knowlege that they were divided up into three colours: Brown, Red and Blue.

However this was a long time ago and current efforts to identify the Red Pirates with the Vadeli should bear a resemblance with RW attempts to identify the Native Americans as the Ten lost tribes of Israel or similar kookiness. The Cassandras who espouse this *are* right, but they are not believed because their methodology is wrong. Every Scholar knows that the Red Pirates are descendants of the Volcanic Gods of the Red Glass Mountains that were conquered by the God Learners and now they war against all Malkioni for the sins of their fathers.

Although the only way to be sure is to grab a Red Pirate, haul him in front of some Browns and ask them if he is a Red. I'm *sure* they wouldn't lie.

Saravan Peacock:

>Can anyone tell me why it is that you've all
>been talking about the I Fought We Won as post-Light Bringers' Quest? The
>cosmology in Lords of Terror has the Final Battle of Mortality (ie IFWW)
>before the LBQ. It occured to me that perhaps IFWW was related to the final
>battle of the gods against chaos at the Ritual of the Net leading to the
>Great Compromise. (See below)

People here seem to be forgetting that the LBQ was a long long quest. Orlanth had long departed when King Heort fought in the IFWW. The Conclusion of the LBQ (or whatever happened in Hell) happened a long time after this. It may be at the same time as the IFWW, it may have been at the same time as the Unity Battle or it may have occured between thos events. We can't tell. All we can say that it was one of the life-affirming events that occurred during the Great Darkness which brought about the resurrrection of the Cosmos.