Magical complexity

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 11:35:50 +1200

Nils Weinander:

Me>>This is complicated somewhat by the fact that even the magic of
>>primitive people will become more complex over time.

>Here I agree completely. A neolithic people should be able to have
>really sophisticated magic as long as they have been around for a long
>time and their magic relies on oral tradition.

I seem to have erred. What I was attemping to get across was that primitive people *now* will have more sophisticated magic than their ancestors. The First Age Bemuri were coming out of the Great Darkness during which sophistication was at an all time low (the high mortality played havoc with longstanding traditions) whereas the Wendarians were much earlier and only just beginning to magically innovate (as a result of the troubled times of the era).