Lunar Questers

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 21:00:49 GMT

Carl Fink he say:

> Inspired by Lewis but not responding to him, I've just noticed
> something - Orlanth seems to encourage his followers to emulate his
> greatest quest, the Seeking of the Sun.
>
> The Red Goddess, contrariwise, seems to *forbid* her servants to
> emulate her mysterious Quest to gain divinity. It's possible that
> Lunars do this all the time, of course, but I haven't seen anything
> published on it. Is this a real difference?

I think that Orlanthi and the Lunars are the two great HeroQuesting cultures of Third Age Glorantha and they are fighting a huge 'turf war' for control of the GodPlane.

Read THE ENTEKOSIAD for more details of how Lunar HeroQuesters (called T&Jers == Travellers and Journeyers) seek out the mysteries of the Goddess.

And what do you think Jar-Eel the Razoress is? Chopped liver?

> I suspect that if a Dara Happan were to ask Yelm directly, Yelm would
> say "Yes, my servant, I did agree with the Storm King to permit his
> continued raging, in order to preserve the World."
>
> And that Solar Priest would *lie* about it forever after.

I'm with you on this one! The Sun worshippers idea of Truth is: anything that serves Yelm and maintains my social position....

A quote from my current game which features a group of Orlanthi adventures shipwrecked in Loskalm and arguing theology with the locals:

ANNOYED WIZARD: Of course it's important! You want to go to Solace in Glory, don't you?

PUZZLED HUMAKTI: We want to go to Corflu first. It's on the way.....

AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop of the Far Isles Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistando (Resistance is Uslesss) Ask me about the Far Isles Medieval Society: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.