The Red Goddess's Heroquest

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 02 Aug 96 12:20:15 EDT

Carl clarified:

> I wasn't asking if She forbids heroquesting per se, understand, just
> repeating her specific quest.

I'll add my own clarifications. I have no reason to believe the Red Goddess forbids Her followers to repeat Her specific Quest, and there are good reasons to believe She encourages some (those powerful enough to succeed) to attempt it. The Quest itself is prominent in Lunar iconography (e.g. the Seven Dishes), in worship, and therefore (one would assume) in static temple-based worship heroquests (like the Shorter Lightbringers' Pilgrimage). As several Lunars have gone on to become worshipped as deities themselves, it seems unlikely the Red Goddess wishes to preserve a monopoly on Her own divine status. If there is any reason to believe the Red Goddess might wish to forbid Her emulators, I am thus far unaware of it.

Remember, though, that the Red Goddess's heroquest is *not* an enjoyable romp across the hero plane. It begins with Her being stripped of all power, majesty, glory and protection, then enduring every imaginable form of torment and suffering, before Her death. You don't want to do it "for real", any more than Joe Average Orlanthi wants to be cast living into the darkest Pits of Hell, betrayed by a trusted ally, his powers failing him and his supporters far away...

The clan/temple reenactments are far more common and far less "severe" than the Real Thing. Even Kallyr Starbrow didn't perform the Lightbringers Quest "for real": her failure occurred on the Shorter version. *Maybe* it takes a hero of Argrath's, Harmast's or Garundyer's stature to complete the full version of the Quest: wouldn't anything else perhaps feel rather too easily achieved?

> Several people advise me to read _The Entekosiad_ - I can't, can I?
> I mean, it isn't yet available, right?

It's "coming soon" from the Reaching Moon Megacorp. The first printing of our new expanded edition was on sale at Convulsion 3D; I believe we've advertised it on the back cover of Tales #15. Ask your usual supplier for more info.

Martin wrote:

> Each Blue [Vadeli] is a cog in the "machine", a facet of the gem, all dedi-
> cated to supplanting all other life with the Blue Vadeli overman or inheritor.

First hornless red broo, now beardless blue dwarfs... The sentiments are OK, maybe it's the language I'm having problems with. What is the difference between the scheming outlook of your Blue Vadeli and that of the Mostali?

Nick