Priestly Lie

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 1996 14:12:24 +1200

Carl Fink:

Me>> Ye gods, it's a conspiracy! All religions are based on Lies and all
>> Priests are Liars! Somehow I don't think so.

>No, not "all" priests. Just some of them.

And what happens if a Solar Priest does the Divination and decides to blow the whistle? This Bavarian Illuminanti kind of conspiracy is _unsustainable_ over the nigh on 2000 years that the model of the Yelm religion has been in existance.

I think the Priest would _interpret_ Yelm's reply 'that I did permit the Storm King to live' with the perfectly reasonable assumption that the said Storm King and his worshippers must live with the Law as spoken of by Yelm and if they show any signs of rebelling then they must be subdued. This is more MGF than the simple 'Priestly Lie' theory IMHO and I think a divination to Yelm would actually confirm the priest's beliefs.

>I think there must a correct answer to the question "Did the gods agree
>to a Compromise as told about in the LBQ stories?" My last message
>assumed that the answer was "Yes, pretty much as told by the Orlanthi."

Why do you believe the Orlanthi have a monopoly on the truth and so all other religions must be founded on a lie if they do not acknowlege that Orlanth is the King of Gods?

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #95