Re: Glorantha Digest V3 #95

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 1996 01:06:35 -0400

I'm struck by a couple of people thinking that a character having three uses of Sever Spirit is a "high powered" or "power gamer" game.

One thing I've always liked about RQ/Glorantha was precisely the very different levels of play available. I've run a game that began with the PCs as RQ3 16-year-olds, with no magic and all their skills at their base percentages.

I've also played in a game where each PC was a rather weird heroquester, in which as a group we could and did take on demigods in combat.

That's not a distortion, IMO, of Gloranthan roleplaying. Some of the old Chaosium house campaigns also operated at that level, as far as we outsiders can tell. PCs came close to conquering kingdoms, visited stars, and so forth. At least one of the characters who summoned the Brown dragon was a PC, right?

A Sword of Humakt with some divine magic doesn't strike me as "high powered".

Peter Metcalfe:

>I think the Priest would _interpret_ Yelm's reply 'that I did permit
>the Storm King to live' with the perfectly reasonable assumption that
>the said Storm King and his worshippers must live with the Law as
>spoken of by Yelm and if they show any signs of rebelling then they
>must be subdued. This is more MGF than the simple 'Priestly Lie'
>theory IMHO and I think a divination to Yelm would actually confirm
>the priest's beliefs.

I agree with this, Peter. Much better and more fun than my version.

>Why do you believe the Orlanthi have a monopoly on the truth and so
>all other religions must be founded on a lie if they do not acknowlege
>that Orlanth is the King of Gods?

This is perhaps a bit confrontational.

What I meant was that *in that case and for that one argument* I was assuming that the Orlanthi version was basically correct. As I posted at the time, I am prejudiced against hierarchial religions with formal dogma. (I think this has something to do with my hero-worship of Galileo as a younger person.) So when the argument is between Yelm and Orlanth, I will tend to portray Yelm-worshippers (if not Yelm himself) as lying despots. I'm not claiming that's true in all Gloranthas, it's just how I perceive religious tyrants. - --

Dueling Modems, Inc.                    http://www.sfrt.com/sfrt/

"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one"
        Alexandre Duma fils