Airless?

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_fit.qut.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 96 17:46:31 EST

Perhaps someone could explain:

In Questlines, under the Trickster writeup, it mentions that once Trickster stole the magic flying boots of Orlanth and made him walk home instead of fly. As the (Godlearner) current holder of the Air rune (isn't he?), but anyway, as a God with more than a small tie to the rune, why couldn't he fly without the boots? Why did he need boots to fly? I don't imagine that Orlanth needs props to invoke his powers.

For example, I don't think Mastakos needs a chariot per se. He could sit on the back of a turtle, "invoke" his self/nature/runes and off they would go at a remarkable clip. Humakt doesn't need a sword to kill you, he uses it for the form of the thing and because mortals expect it. After all, he does have infinite uses of Sever Spirit!

So why does Orlanth need special boots to fly? The only possibility I can think of is that he was in a place where the Air element had absolutely no (none, zero, ziltch) say (even Orlanthi Heroes have to take a bag of air when going underwater and invoking the Air element).

Does this fit in with anyone else views? Robert