Them Blues Again

From: martin <102541.3423_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 06 Aug 96 13:00:25 EDT

I appear to have lost a bit of my last posting in the mail, gives me a chance to respond to some more comments too.

The missing stuff
>From: "ian (i.) gorlick" <igorlick_at_nortel.ca>
>Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 14:38:00 -0400
>Subject: Blue Vadeli Reproduction

>Martin Laurie:
>That is SICK!!

Why thank you, one tries ones best

>Brilliant!
>I'm not sure I agree, but it proves that you are at least as twisted as Jeorg.

Again thank you!

>Of course, you realize that this can never be officially published. We'd have
>the religious right all over us in minutes.

I don't agree, much worse horror gets published everyday and lets face it, the word Necrophilia wouldn't even exist unless there were some sickos out there in the RW who actually _did_ these things! Imagine your reaction at meeting a homicidal necrophiliac in the real world!! Thats what I want to get accross to people, the sheer horror of it is mind bending.

Besides, just read an early work of Clive Barkers or a better Stephen King short story and you'll find worse and they ain't censored are they?

>Now, what about female Blues? Surely some of those babies are female? How >will
they fit in?

I was wondering if anyone would ask about them.

Here is my take.

The birth of a female Blue is incredibly rare, due to the nature of their reproduction ritual, perhaps one in twenty. Before the opening I think there was perhaps 1 in all of Glorantha. However their birth is cause for great celebration among the Blues. Heres why:

Female Blue Vadeli may only mate with _dead_ male Blue Vadeli.

Blue Vadeli are peculiar in that their souls are bound to their bodies on death, they merely have no control over their body when they've been killed in the normal sense (however there is nothing stopping a dead Blues soul from animating his own corpse and killing his killers.....).

When a Blue is killed, his corpse is taken to the nearest female Blue who mindlinks with his soul and he performs an animate corpse on himself (or she does it for him). They then have sex and at the culmination of the act he "ejaculates" his soul into her and on to the new fetus leaving his corpse behind.

 When she gives birth, she produces a baby Blue with all the knowledge and memories of the father as it has the fathers soul, in effect it is the father.

You just can't keep a good corpse down....

This is the only form of resurrection or rebirth available to Blue Vadeli. Female Blues do not have acces to this ritual so cannot be reborn in this way and hence are closely guarded at all times.

IMMORTALITY Female Blues use the same immortalty ritual as the males with a slight tweak:

They always kill a male victim, then _animate_ his corpse to have sex with them. Other than that, the strictures and benifits are the same as for the male.

MOB Comments
>Once again Martin Laurie [not Crim] gives us WAY TOO MUCH information
>about the Vadeli, this time the Blues, and their disturbing reproductive
>and immortality methods. Personally, I feel that the clinical,
>mechanical details of these processes are better left vaugely alluded to
>and imagined.

And David Cake too.....

>I find that for me MGF is definately served by the vague knowledge
>that Brown Vadeli eat their children to gain immortality, Red Vadeli murder
>for magical reasons, and Blue Vadeli reproduce in disgusting necrophilic
>acts. Not only are the precise details of their disgusting acts unnecessary
>and exceedingly graphic ('face down!' I cry, having just looked at the GM
>horror stories on Rich Staats web page(http://198.3.128.48/gmhor.html)),
>but I prefer them to be a little mysterious for other reasons. Its more fun
>as a GM to be able to vaguely indicate horrible things without having to
>sweat the details of whether there is an adequate corpse supply, and you
>don't need to spend too much time worrying about questions like

Hmm, I have to disagree. When I GM I like to know _everything_ so that I can keep facts back from my players and allude to them if I have to but I do _know_ them when I need to know them.

This is something I find very frustrating about Glorantha, not only is it a mystery to the players, its often a mystery to the GM too! Bizarre. I don't like to work that way.

As for the clinical description of the Blues methods, I think there is a bit of hypocracy coming in here from MOB anyway. I played Rune Metal Jacket and found the Lunar creation of the regimental standard to be pretty gross (good though) yet that wasn't "alluded too", it was pretty graphic.

Sometimes you just have to be graphic and if I feel the need, I will. So get used to it.

me
>>Communal Necrophila is not feasible as their ritual makes it purely a personal
>>act and remember that they are not allowed to ejaculate except during that
>>ritual.

David again
> And perhaps most importantly, to me the Red and Blue Vadeli
>descriptions sound too much like someone sitting down and trying to think
>up something either completely horrible and violent or completely
>disgusting, whereas they should be horrible and disgusting and extremely
>alien and bizarre - which impression is much easier to create if the
>details are left deliberately vague.

Not true. I didn't invent the race. They were there and other people have commented on their disgusting methods too. I merely added some lamentably missing detail.

You also counter your own argument here. I note how grossed out many people

have been on this subject.  Why?  BECAUSE I have been so graphic, NOT vague.
Being vague doesn't give any true idea of the stuff your talking about here.  If
you vaguely mention that 6 million jews died in the holocaust, its a number.  If
you hear a survivor telling how he had to throw live people into a flaming pit where the fat of human flesh was collected in a trench to make soap THEN do you understand the real horror of it.

The problem here is one of sqeamishness. The fact is that the Vadeli, in all their forms, do NOTHING that has not already been done by one human being to another thousands of times. If you can't handle a bit of detail then I suggest you go and lock yourself in a box because the RW is WAY worse.

Martin Laurie