Other topics

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 13:54:38 +1200

Robert Macarthur:

>In Questlines, under the Trickster writeup, it mentions that once Trickster
>stole the magic flying boots of Orlanth and made him walk home instead of
>fly. As the (Godlearner) current holder of the Air rune (isn't he?), but
>anyway, as a God with more than a small tie to the rune, why couldn't he
>fly without the boots? Why did he need boots to fly? I don't imagine that
>Orlanth needs props to invoke his powers.

Perhaps it was a tale about a person who had boots and later became identified as Orlanth himself? A similar arguement would be applied to Mastakos and his chariot.

Daniel Fahey:

>Since when has a government been interested in whether people die or
>not? Safety concerns are mostly a recent thing, or?

I would have thought they were concerned with safety ever since the word go was first thought of. Dead subjects do not pay taxes. As well as the obvious 'Keeping Ourselves Safe from the Enemy', there are also quarantine regulations which have a pretty old history.

Loren Miller:

>The Red Vadeli are violence personified, so violent that the only
>defense against them is to [...] or to feign death.

If you do try to feign death, be sure not to scream when they multilate your body.

Martin Declan Kelly:

>while the general rules for most Gloranthan cults state an initiate
>cannot be shaman or sorcerer, one assumes this is due to the different
>world-views of said practicioners.... what if the shaman follows a
>tradition that is an integral part of the pantheon of the initiating
>god?

It will normally be implied by the text (but mistakes can happen) of the cult (or cultural) writeup.

>Why can't a Kolating shaman be an initiate of Orlanth, or Storm Bull?

Kolat is not an integral part of the Orlanth Pantheon as practiced by most of the humans in Sartar. They are outsiders at best. A Kolating could worship Orlanth in his own way but if he tried to participate in the regular Godi ceremonies, he will encounter some resistance from the other participants.