Orlanthi Songs

From: Guy Hoyle <guyhoyle_at_chrysalis.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 00:33:08 -0500

>------------------------------
>
>From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_erols.com>
>Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 20:05:45 -0400 (EDT)
>Subject: Re: A piece of doggeral rhyme
>
>Loved "We Three Things." LOL.
>
>Has anybody got any Sartarite songs? I was trying to come up with one based
>on the theme to the Beverly Hillbillies, but I couldn't think of anything to
>replace the crude oil as something Jed'd find when he was shooting at some
food.

>- --Martin Crim

Darn the luck, I haven't had much luck with the one I'm writing, so I thought I'd turn it over to the list. The trouble is, it ain't much to look at, or to sing yet. It's based on WILD COLONIAL BOY, which I've included afterwards.

The main trouble I'm having is finding usable rhymes for the word "boy".

THE WILD ORLANTHI BOY There was a wild Orlanthi boy, Prince Argrath was his name; He was born and bred in Dragon Pass, where the Lunar Empire came; He came to Prax and Pavis when his home they did destroy, And thus began the legend of the wild Orlanthi boy.

          Now come on, all me hearties! We'll roam Glorantha wide!
          Together we will tear the Crimson Moon down from the sky!
          We'll wander o'er the oceans; we'll gallop oe'r the plains;
          We'll scorn to live in slavery, bowed down in iron chains!

At fourteen years this daring youth commenced his wild career He rode the dusty Plains of Prax, an avenger without peer; With bison brothers gathered round he blah blah blah blah blah, A terror to the Lunars was that wild Orlanthi boy.

He saved the Giant's Cradle from the Redmoon's grasping hand; He sailed the sease with Harrek and his merry pirate band, On Pamaltela's burning shores he blah blah blah blah blah, Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah bla blah wild Orlanthi boy.

Here's the original, for the sake of comparison and inspiration.

WILD COLONIAL BOY There was a wild colonial youth, Jack Doolan was his name Of poor but honest parents, he was born in Castlemaine He was his father's only hope, his mother's only joy The pride of both his parents was the wild colonial boy

  Come all my hearties, we'll range the mountainside   Together we will plunder, together we will ride   We'll scour along the valleys and gallop o'er the plains   We'll scorn to live in slavery, bowed down in iron chains

In sixty-one this daring youth commenced his wild career With a heart that knew no danger, no foeman did he fear He held up the Beechworth mailcoach and he robbed Judge MacEvoy Who trembled and gave up his gold to the wild colonial boy

One day as he was riding the mountainside along Alistening to the little birds their pleasant laughing song Three mounted troopers came in view - Kelly, Davis, and Fitzroy And thought that they would capture him, the wild colonial boy

"Surrender now, Jack Doolan, you see there's three to one Surrender now, Jack Doolan, you daring highwayman" He drew a pistol from his belt and spun it like a toy "I'll fight, but I won't surrender," said the wild colonial boy

He fired at trooper Kelly and brought him to the ground And in return from Davis received a mortal wound All shattered through the jaws, he lay still firing at Fitzroy And that's the way they captured him, the wild colonial boy

Recorded by Clancys, Burl Ives

Guy Hoyle (guyhoyle_at_chrysalis.org)

Overworked and Underemployed