MOBing the Blues

From: martin <102541.3423_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 07 Aug 96 13:31:22 EDT

>At the risk of inducing Martin Laurie to launch into a veritable 'onslaught'
>of postings defending himself:

Too late for that now. Get ready for some onslaughter.

I commented on MOBs hypocracy regarding Rune Metal Jacket:
>I don't feel hypocritical at all, and I think this mendacious comparison is
>unwarranted. However, readers of the Digest can make up their own mind.
>Here's the excerpt from 'Rune Metal Jacket' that Martin refers to (spoiler
>for RMJ follows):

<Example deleted>

>I apologise in the unlikely event this passage has induced nausea in anyone.

Unlikely because its a game.

>However, I'm glad that this shocked Martin when he played Rune Metal
>Jacket - it was meant to shock, as it is the plot-twist, the pay-off at
>the end of one part in the scenario, and is written in that context.

Actually it didn't shock me. What actually shocked me was that it nearly happened to _me_. I won almost all the contests but was pipped at the post after being befuddled and feared by all the soldiers I'd annoyed by pushing my way to the front of the dinner queue every day. I liked it though.

>Now, if I was setting out to be "pretty graphic" no doubt I would added a
>paragraph or two after here:
> With great care, almost tenderness, the glowing force impales the
> Winner on the standard...
>...about how the standard prised apart the luckless Winner's buttocks and
>[excessively anatomical description of stake's journey through victim's
>digestive system, his bodily juices and excrescences dribbling down the pole
>and puddling in the dust, the scream welling up in his throat turning into a
>foamy gargle as a mixture of blood and bile rises etc etc ad nauseum...]

>See, it's depressingly easy to write SplatterPunk; I could do it too if I
>wanted Martin. However, the passage has sufficient dramatic effect as it
>is, I think.

Yes, true enough. However you are defeating your own argument here. I quote:

You commenting on my first posting on Blue Necrophilia:
>" Personally, I feel that the clinical, mechanical details of these processes
are >better left vaugely alluded to and imagined."

You'll note your own uses of the words "clinical" and "mechanical". This is precisely how I wrote the piece to sound; like a biology text book describing a male black widow spider being eaten by its mate after coupling. If I'd been trying to offend I would have started like this:

"The male blue Vadeli foces open the hardening flesh of the vagina as rigor mortis sets in, readying his hardening penis for forceable entry".....etc etc etc. Believe me, I wasn't even _trying_ to be offensive, if you think that, you are entirely wrong.

Please quit having a emotional reaction and comment on the issues.

A fan:
>That is SICK!!

Martin L.:
>>Why thank you, one tries ones best.

>I find my attitude on this topic has already been best expressed by the
>estimable David Cake:

You know, you guys must have a level of humour missing . I say things like that to lighten the tone and to take the piss out of myself. Its increadibly sad when someone takes it seriously. This seems to be your's and the "estimable" Mr Cakes problem. Lighten up a bit and get off your bloody high horse for cyring out loud.

Martin Laurie