more Vadeli...

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 13:21:22 +1200

Guy Holye:

Goes into denial mode.

>I must say that the recent speculations on the Vadeli are not my cuppa
>joe. They just don't sound like they'd contribute Maximum Game Fun if
>you played 'em that way.

What's the problem? That Reds are horrible to meet? That Browns are pleasant but untrustworthy?

>Besides, I've never seen much to support this interpretation of them.
>Rumors of this kind of behavior might well abound, but I think that
>the Vadeli have probably been the target of anti-Vadelic propaganda.

Wasn't it Sandy who once said (in the Man-eating Morokanth thread) that he'd rather play C&S than have another 'they're not bad, just misunderstood' race in glorantha?

>Possibly the Vadeli have some ceremonies or even Heroquests where
>something like this kind of behavior occurs, but I don't think it
>could possibly be a part of daily Vadeli life.

Um, child sacrifice was part of daily Carthaginian Life and bloodletting was a key part in Mesoamerican religious traditions (the Aztecs took it to extremes). Yet they saw it as _normal_. Whatever next? The Fonritans don't practice slavery?

Martin Laurie:

>BTW is menstrual intercourse a taboo in Glorantha, I hadn't noticed it
>being a taboo in the real world so is there something that indicates
>it is?

Certain old passages from Leviticus proscribe menstrual intercourse, frex. Only the Aztecs AFAIK didn't see any big deal about it. I think in glorantha, the West would have some sort of archaic (looks around) strictures against it, but I don't think it's a big issue.

>IMMORTALITY
>Do you still go with the idea that they tap suffering to maintain
>immortality or is there some use of blood involved, perhaps they
>have to drink or bathe in a certain ammount per week/season etc?

Blood taken from suffering people is probably the best for their magics.