Gross Vadeli

From: Lewis Jardine <jardine_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 09:57:13 -0700

Hi All

        Martin Laurie proves that he was letting us off lightly with his biology textbook version of Vadeli reproductive & immortality practices. Thank you Martin for sparring us more of the extreme stuff.

        However, Martin what you are failing to see is that there are no biology textbooks on the Vadeli in all Glorantha. Basically, very little is actually known about the Vadeli, although there are some nasty rumours about their habits. Personally, I prefer that articles about this race just to add a little titbit to what we know and leave the horrible ramifications to imagination. Since as role players we should all be equiped with excellent imaginations this approach should be very successful. The classic statement on this line was Nick Brooke's:

"We all know that some of our essence lives on in our children. The Vadeli have worked out how to get it back!" (paraphrase).

The Vadeli are ment to be a frightening enigma, this effect is destroyed if you know too much about them. Its a bit like the sketch from Hitch Hikers Guide where the ancient philosophers are arguing over the existence of God and become worried that Deep Thought will give you his telephone number!

        The problem is not with people being "grossed-out" by biology textbook style descriptions of the the mating habits of the near-extinct, lesser-spotted, rarely-seen, blue Vadeli. The problem is that if they are demystified then they are just another monster to work out how to kill.

        The Boggy-Man is not very frightening once you know his secret!

Cheers

        Lewis