An Event of Some Significance

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 13:51:34 GMT

In my game last night, an Orlanthi traveller (quite without prompting by me) while being interrogated by an Inquisitor of the Watchdog Council of New Hrestoli Idealist Church explained to him the Peter Principle. This cunning theory (for those of you who don't know it) says that in any hierarchy, the reward for being good at your job is to be promoted to a different job. (And this certainly describes the Loskalmi state!) And the effect of this is that you get promoted until you reach a job you are bad at. You are then stuck at the level of your incompetence and proceed to screw up the whole system. (Alright, there are exceptions: those who are so supercompetent  that they can do anything and those who are smart enough not to seek promotion above a comfortable level.)

The Inquisitor didn't get it nor see how it applied to him but one of the Soldiers standing guard in the room went DOH! audibly and later fainted when the full horrible implications hit him. I think that one conversation may have caused the downfall of the New Hrestoli Idealist Church in my Glorantha...

A couple of questions:

Does anyone have any stats for Boggles? Sandy? And what do they look like? So far I've told my party "You'll know one when you see one!" but I can't keep that up forever.

Has anyone done any work on the Nameless Man?

AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop of the Far Isles Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistando (Resistance is Uslesss) Ask me about the Far Isles Medieval Society: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.