Vadeli splatterpunk

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 12:38:32 EST

One of my objections to the blue-vadeli-as-parasitic-egg-laying-wasp theories is that it turns them into insect-like humans. We already have intelligent insects on Glorantha: Timinits. And they live on the old Jrusteli isles, just as the Vadeli do. I'm sure that some of the Timinits reproduce by laying eggs in the decaying corpses of human victims, at least occasionally. So why do we need two unrelated cultures from the same general area that reproduce the same way? And why wouldn't the Brithini and Malkioni hold the same level of revulsion for the Timinits that they hold for the Vadeli?

If the red vadeli are red I prefer to think it is because they use lots and lots of blood in their magical rituals. If the blue vadeli are blue I prefer to think it is because they are walking, necrotic, rotten corpses, not because they are necrophiles. In fact, the idea that the blue vadeli might be Glorantha's "lich" race is a very appealing one. Invulnerable to normal damage, already dead, foul, magically potent, yet very susceptible to attack if their secret is discovered and exploited properly... that's the kind of blue vadeli that conjure up terms such as "cold, patient, and almost inhuman" for me.

Martin Laurie

> What are you actually saying here? That I can no longer write
> what? Are you imposing censorship on the list now? If you are,
> at least _ask_ me what I'm doing instead of assuming I'm doing this
> for shock value. To think that is an insult to my intelligence
> and is grossly unfair.

I am not censoring the list. If I had planned to censor the list I would have censored it long ago. And there is no need to get defensive or angry. In fact, if I were in your shoes I should ask myself a few questions before I pop my cork. "Why does it make me so mad when people ask me to tone down?" "Why do I take every comment on my writing style as a personal insult?" "Why does everybody appear to be unable to reason logically, unlike me?"

Even "Why do I enjoy imagining the details of bloodthirsty, necrophiliac rape-murders?"

Though I am not censoring the list, I am stating that I personally do not enjoy imagining or reading the details of necrophiliac rape-murders, and from the reaction of the general list-membership I believe that many if not most of the list members agree. Since I often peruse this list while I am eating lunch, and this topic is so manifestly disgusting and awful, I (me, Loren the person, not Loren the list-owner) would appreciate it if you would refrain from such stomach-churning descriptions in the future.

> I have done. Though not a "High School" as I lived most of my
> life in Britain. I regularily used to read Stephen King there and I
> first read Clive Barkers "the Damnation Game" which deals with
> necrophilia to prolong life when I was 12 in my school library in
> the HORRROR section, which was quite large. Perhaps things have
> changed but I'm only 26, I don't think they've changed that much.

My schools never had horror sections, but even if they had I went to HS before Barker published the Books of Blood. And you are right. The USA is heavily censored, not as badly as Canada but it's close. In an America where Huckleberry Finn, Of Mice and Men, and Catcher in the Rye are hardly ever available on HS shelves because they are considered too offensive, do you really think that Cabal or The Damnation Game are going to go untouched?

I refer you to this website for more info... <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Web/People/spok/most-banned.html>

> No wonder all you yanks are so offended by my comments if there is
> such a degree of control on what you think is right and proper.

Is Nick Brooke a yank? Is MOB? Is David Cake? Is Ian Gorlick? Methinks your point is blunted if you have to paint two ozzies, a brit, and a fellow canuck in stars and stripes in order to prove it.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #104