Vadeli

From: Guy Hoyle <guyhoyle_at_chrysalis.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 17:41:41 -0500

>From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
>Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 13:21:22 +1200
>Subject: more Vadeli...
>
>Guy Holye:
>==========
>
>Goes into denial mode.
>
>>I must say that the recent speculations on the Vadeli are not my cuppa
>>joe. They just don't sound like they'd contribute Maximum Game Fun if
>>you played 'em that way.
>
>What's the problem? That Reds are horrible to meet? That Browns
>are pleasant but untrustworthy?

No; I personally don't feel much sympathy for them, or like them in any way, from that description of them. Maybe the fact that I'm not into splatterpunk much has something to do with it. Allow me my opinion, OK?

>>Besides, I've never seen much to support this interpretation of them.
>>Rumors of this kind of behavior might well abound, but I think that
>>the Vadeli have probably been the target of anti-Vadelic propaganda.
>
>Wasn't it Sandy who once said (in the Man-eating Morokanth thread)
>that he'd rather play C&S than have another 'they're not bad, just
>misunderstood' race in glorantha?

I don't recall that, though he certainly could have said it. I just never thought of the Vadeli as loving gore that much.

>>Possibly the Vadeli have some ceremonies or even Heroquests where
>>something like this kind of behavior occurs, but I don't think it
>>could possibly be a part of daily Vadeli life.
>
>Um, child sacrifice was part of daily Carthaginian Life and
>bloodletting was a key part in Mesoamerican religious traditions
>(the Aztecs took it to extremes). Yet they saw it as _normal_.
>Whatever next? The Fonritans don't practice slavery?

Your points are certainly true about human sacrifice in Carthage and Mesoamerica, but I believe you've taken it to extremes. I simply think that your proposals would make better rumors than reality if I were running a Glorantha campaign.

Guy Hoyle (guyhoyle_at_chrysalis.org)

"He beats his fists against the posts and still insists he sees no ghosts."