Hazia

From: Karin Goihl / Daniel Fahey <goihlk_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 21:55:49 +0100

Robert McArthur:
  I would like to believe that governments had some interest in protecting the public, but I just don't see it in the historical stuff I read. Yes, dead citizens don't pay taxes, but did anybody care in earlier times? It seems to me that even today laws made to protect people are started by private citizens or groups. You claim that quarantines are old. I think that people didn't know that many diseases are contagious until a few hundred years ago. That is modern to me. I am looking at things at least as far back as the "Dark Ages". Let's look for ancient laws and customs. As far as that goes, Hazia or whatever might not be illegal but rather so looked down upon as to practically be illegal. Especially in non-modern (is there a better term for this?) cultures, custom can be, in effect, the same as law.

Mike Mohrfield: (Did I manage to spell it right a second time?) As above, Gloranthan cultures are more like our "Dark Ages" or earlier cultures. The nineteenth century when the chinese banned opium is, to me, modern. Why was it banned? Was it to protect people, or trading rights or something?

Maybe a count of Sun County banned hazia because his priests told him to so as to hinder the lunars getting it for their schools that use it. I think some Sartarite and other chiefs and leaders might try to keep their people from using it, and might make laws. Most of these earlier type cultures are too wrapped-up in their traditional ways to be constantly looking for new laws like we do.

I think that there are countries today that have made laws against things just because the U.S. and other "modernized" nations have. This might be so even in countries where that particular "drug" or whatever has never been imported in large amounts. I've heard that in the Shahs' Iran Marijuana was very illegal altho most people either didn't know it from seeing it, or were just claiming not to recognise the plant. At the same time you could go to the market everyday and see people sitting against the walls drooling on themselves from having smoked opium, which you could get anywhere and was often used. I think opium was sort-of part of the culture, and marijuana wasn't. Quite a bit of speculation there. Bye now. Daniel