Re: Glorantha Digest V3 #105

From: Lewis Jardine <jardine_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 12:09:10 -0700

Martin Laurie wrote:

> I think the prime example of this is the Trolls. They were HEAVILY
> demistified and became a people instead of a group of monsters.
> The same principle should be applied to every race in Glorantha
> and then we would truly have an alive world.

I disagree, trolls look like monsters and behave in an uncivilized (by human reconning) manner BUT they are people (the people of Darkness).

> I used my "biology text book style" to be inoffensive (big mistake
> there eh?).

I personally didn't find it offensive (just the later bit when you were actively trying!).

> but I was hoping for a response, even a one of disagreement.

You've got it.

> but at least some discussion on what makes the Vadeli tick.

I think you understand why I won't delve too deep here.

> Without that they are faceless and not threat.
> What you don't know will not scare you is my approach.

I totally disagree, the threat of the unknown (but with vague nasty rumours) is much worse. Think about it, the Vadeli are thought to be so horribly nasty that the Brithini tried to wipe them out. Now it appears that they failed?!?!? The Vadeli are rumoured to eat their babies and worse! Do you really want to meet one?

However, you are entitled to YOG so I'm quite happy for you to express your views here, but some things do not need too much gory detail...

Cheers

        Lewis