Re: Glorantha Digest V3 #105

From: KenRolston_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 08:52:54 -0400

In a message dated 96-08-08 20:26:12 EDT, SimonPhipp_at_aol.com writes concerning the dialog occasioned by Martin Laurie's nasty Vadeli:

<< I am more annoyed by the incresing frequency of personal comments/attacks on
 people on the Digest than the content of the articles, this I find offensive.

 One of the strengths of Glorantha is that is a broad camp and can accomodate  many styles of play, from the nicest roleplaying to the experience of  disgusting rites and events. All should be encouraged. >>

I too was more disturbed by the style of feedback than by the unappetising details. The feedback is very helpful, Martin... it is great to get a sense of how the emotions are stirred by writing... but I appreciate a more genteel, understated style of criticism -- it promotes clear thought.

However, I might also say the same, Martin, for your style of presentation of the unappetising details -- which might have been equally effective if more oblique and suggestive. The distinction is that in criticizing your writing style, I am making a writing workshop comment, while in criticising the style of feedback, I am making a comment about the process of volley thought and comment, and on the atmosphere I prefer for mailing list discourse.

I am more comfortable with lack of gentility in writing style than in commentary and feedback... but both can be disturbing in a gentleman's club.

John Hughes [re: The Finest Music in Glorantha Digest V3 #97] I've read your essays on roleplaying in the past with pleasure. I especially enjoyed The Finest Music, which has a fine ear for poetry and elevated speech.