Shamans

From: Nick Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 14:03:46 +0100

Simon writes:

>In Standard RuneQuest, you cannot be a Shaman and a Priest or Sorcerer. In
>Gloranthan RuenQuest you can. Trolls are Shamans and Priests of Kyger Litor,
>in fact Mistress Race Trolls can be Shamans, Priests and Sorcerers of Arkat.
>Waha Shamans are Priests and so on. Most Shamanic Priesthoods allow their
>priests to join associate cults and become initiates or Priests of those
>cults. Queens of Bagog can be Shamans and Rune Lords, so a Shaman can be many
>different things.

 The Horned Man cult of unaligned shamanism is dead IMHO -- a God Learner fake. No culture worships him. For example, here are the following major shamanistic cultures:

Troll (Kyger Litor, Daka Fal, Gorakiki, Aranea) Aldryami (Shannasse, Gardener)
Praxian (Waha, Daka Fal)
Orlanthi (Kolat)
Baboon(Granfather Baboon)
Pentan Horse Nomads (various sun/storm spirits) Chaos (Thed, Bagog, Malia, Bad Man)
Pamaltelan (Pamalt)

 In brackets are the gods that give them their shamanic powers. Personally I'd want to know where the hell the horned man comes from? Virtually all of these cults allow you to join another cult, and usually allow you to hold the position of priest in the shaman cult -- thus giving you access to powerful Divine Magic. I'd allow members of these cult to join various other cults depending upon their relation to the shaman cult -- the idea that a shaman should be refused is, IMHO, an artifical game mechanic. Check out the Cult of Kolat that'll be on my Netpage in the near future.

Nick E.

Nick the Shaman of Thed
E-Mail:wal_at_eff.u-net.com
http://www.u-net.com/~eff/
I thought Britain was Dorastor without broo, but then Sandy made it all clear to me.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #107