Splatterpunking Vadeli - Hoist on your own Petard?

From: MOBTOTRM_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 09:57:24 +1000

G'day all,

Hoist on your own petard?

Martin Laurie, defiantly ignoring Loren's advice, which could only be described as patient and considerate:

   >>If they don't like what I say, don't read it, but _don't_ tell me to    >>shut up, cos I won't.

Hang on, the only way anyone can decide whether they like what you've said is by reading it, yes? The only other way would be to skip over anything from "martin <102541.3423_at_CompuServe.COM>", something I don't want to do as you often post interesting stuff, and often are the catalyst for other posters' good ideas.

For example, out of this Vadeli debacle, I've definitely grabbed a number of groovy MGF things to put in my Glorantha:

A question: are the Vadeli colours just like castes? Are, perhaps, all Vadeli born brown (in that disgusting way I recently alluded to), and it only through application of their immortality magic that they turn the other shades? Browns begat browns, reds begat browns (blues don't begat at all).

The Brown magic is the easiest to do, but confers the least benefits. Red magic is more difficult, requires copious amounts of blood, and turns the user into a deranged maniac, but is much more effective (increases stats, lasts longer, accentuates latent talents, etc.). Blue Magic is the hardest of all and has a terrible cost, which is why there were always so damn few of them. And because it was such an elite club, with the disappearance of the Blues the other vadeli have lost the know-how. (MGF idea: oocasionally a powerful Brown thinks he is worthy and tries, hunting down all his myriad offspring across the world. Maybe the vadeli slaver Honest Babdil (of Sog's Virgin Megastore) needs protection, as he's just got word that Daddy is paying a visit...)

Simon Phipp sez:
>I am more annoyed by the incresing frequency of personal comments/attacks
>on people on the Digest than the content of the articles, this I find
>offensive.

I agree, and although I may have sparked off this new 'onslaught' of Martin Laurie Against the Rest of the World by simply stating I thought he gave us WAY TOO MUCH information, I plead not guilty m'lud!

In actual fact you'll note I said I thought his concept had merit (I just didn't need the excessive, prurient detail, ta much).

It's in Martin's postings that you'll find much of the 'personal' stuff: in recent posts it's people who've disagreed with him that've been called (among other things) humourless, squeamish and hypocrits, not to mention being told to go lock themselves in a box.

Martin's main beef (this time) seems to be that we think he was just deliberately trying to gross the Digest out, whereas he says he wasn't.

[Glorantha Digest V3 #105]

   Martin: >>I wasn't trying to gross anybody out.

    David: >If you say so.

            >But it came across that way.

Martin then proceeds to thunder righteously:

   Martin: >You could have asked me first before assuming. Another reason

            >why I was annoyed. Why assume the worst in people?

Martin, I guess David assumed this based on comments *you* made a short time earlier; I certainly did:

[A previous Glorantha Digest]

   A fan: >That is SICK!!
   Martin: >>Why thank you, one tries ones best.

If that's not a clear indication, what is?

Cheers

MOB

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #108