Rokari Faeries

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 00:36:49 +0800

>The Wizards view this as backward
>supersition as the faeries the peasants claim to talk to, don't
>really exist.

        No, No. The wizards view this as backward superstition and ignorance, as the faeries the peasants claim to talk to should be reported to a wizard to be dealt with appropriately.

        While there are several good reasons for this (MGF, for one), I particularly feel that one good reason to make the 'faeries' be real in Rokari lands (nymphs, awakened animals, spirits) is that otherwise Western Ralios seems so much less magical than other parts of Glorantha. I can accept it for the Brithini though, for whom 'dealing appropriately' with a nymph or other spirit may well mean tapping it into nonexistence.

        I think the magical otherworld should be just as 'real' in Rokari lands, just hidden, shy, and scared of the Rokari church, also probably somewhat weaker (maybe even physically smaller). You can contrast peasant superstition/wisdom (putting bowls of milk out for the spirits) with the wizardly intolerance, and use as many Western Europe folk beliefs as you desire or not ('faeries' hating the sounds of church bells, being unable to enter protected places (which may be due to Spirit Resistance spells), etc.).

        David