Lunie Runes

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 00:01:36 +0800

        Saravan raises the question of Rune 'ownership', and how this applies to the battle between the Lunar gods and the Orlanthi.

        For a start, I don't think the concept of rune ownership is neccessarily one that either culture acknowledges much - its a classic God Leanerism.

        But other than that - I don't think the Lunar way is neccessarily inclined towards wanting to dominate to the exclusion of the alternatives. The Lunars do not go in for elemental cults that eschew all other elements, cults of the powers that disdain other powers, etc. Its about balance, and I think cults that are associated overwhelmingly with a single element (such as Yelm or Orlanth) or a single power (such as Humakt) are not part of the Lunar way. This doesn't really apply if the element is moon, of course, but even the Red Goddess, the ultimate goddess of the Lunar Element, is also associated with the four Young Elementals.

        So I would say the idea of 'owning' a rune is not something that Lunar cults would want to do. Rather, they would deliberately move away from it. Lunar theology often talks about 'healing' other religions - the illness that is being healed is insufficient Balance, leading to intolerance and misunderstanding of the real nature of the world.

        Yanfal and Humakt is the classic example. Humakt is a rune owner, the great god of Death. Yanafal stopped following his ways of Death, not because he wanted that honour for himself (though ignorant barbarian Humakti might tell you that), but because Humakts way is a way without Balance. By acknowledging Life, Yanafal was healed of his unbalanced connection to Death.

        If everyone acknowledged the Lunar way, then there would be no 'owners' of the runes, or at least the owners would be unworshipped principles - the runes would be acknowledged as great powers, but a dedication to one to the exclusion of sign of lack of Balance, a spiritual sickness.

        Except, of course, when it isn't. But that requires the impossible, illumination, the Lunar way.

        Cheers

                David