Vadeli Bloodlines

From: Tarry Higgins <taz_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 96 11:29 BST-1

I really like Ian Gorlick's ideas about the Vadeli - this makes the truly interesting as well as giving them a rational for their actions. It also gives the possibility of some _really_ excellent plot hooks involving Vadeli.

In summary Ians ideas are:
Vadeli put some of their life force into their children, let the children mature and then when they have more lifeforce "harvest" them to power their immortality spells. And this is the only way that they can do this.

Ian proposed that the children would be kept penned as animals and poorly treated, and I accept that this would be _one_ way of doing it - a safe way. But the lifeforce (POW) of these illtreated ones will be lesser and weaker that if they were carefully pampered and taken care of - so the Ancient Vadeli can treat his descendents better and in turn harvest a greater return.

I would extend this principal to work on an entire vadeli bloodline, so that _any_ member of a Vadeli bloodline can use the lifeforce of any other member of the same bloodline, but they cannot use the life energies of any other bloodline. I would limit this to 2 or 3 levels or removed but no more - after that point your life force becomes so dituted with others that you can no longer use it.

This means that the Vadeli as a race do not have to war on each other - there is no direct benefit for doing so, but that their can be massive interbloodline war - the most dangerous Vadeli are the ones closest to you.

Bloodline, really really matters to a Vadeli, if you can be sure that someone is not related to you then you can trust him a little more (but how much trust can you have when you mistrust your own family).

Imagine though two ancient Vadeli who are at war with each other, what better way than to capture some of the others descendants and train them up, pointing out that their parent is the greatest danger to them, and that he is also their greatest source of power. Then cutting them loose, and arranging to have their parent informed about them. hmmmmmmmmmmmm

 The Taz! ....