Vadeli

From: ian (i.) gorlick <"ian>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 17:29:00 -0400

Peter Metcalfe:
We seem to have a fundamental difference in viewpoints about this sort of bloodmagic and other disgusting rituals. Shall we agree to disagree?
- ----------------

Nick Brooke:
Nice question and answer sequence.
Yes, the Vadeli ghetto is probably a very interesting place, but remember the occupants will be doing their best to make it un-interesting. Interesting is for ephemerals, the immortals want things stable.

Tarry Higgins:
You are correct. Some of the vadeli children probably are well-treated to improve their health and their value.

I suspect some of them are raised as trusties to take care of their siblings and offspring. These trusties are the ones most likely to become new Vadeli, and are the most carefully watched by the ancestral Vadeli.

Intra-bloodline war is certainly possible, but I think it mostly goes along the parent-child lines rather than between siblings or cousins. The fraction of common life-force between siblings and cousins just drops off too fast. In an emergency, when you had no direct descendants to replenish your immortality, you might go after a sibling and his breeding pool, but I think this won't be too common. On the other hand, if a Vadeli lost his breeding pool due to the actions of an enemy, he might then have no choice but to go after his relatives.... There do seem to be some possibilities in this.

You are absolutely correct that the best troops to use against a Vadeli are the children from his own breeding pool. They have the greatest motivation. So that is why Vadeli won't trust anyone else to guard their breeding pools. But someone has to. So who watches the watchmen? I'm sure this is one of the great worries of Vadeli life.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #118