Lunars at the Block

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 15 Aug 96 02:44:55 EDT

Robert asks:

> Any thoughts on why the Lunars didn't turn the Block into a
> holiday resort and fun park ("Come see the huge funny hand,
> son!")? After all, they did have nominal control of Prax...

I'm afraid your question looks barking mad at first sight. The Block is a lump of magic rock in the middle of a stinking bog in the middle of a scorching desert, surrounded by filthy, hairy berserk barbarians and infested with Chaotic monstrosities. Why on earth would anyone want to turn this hellhole into a resort?

"It is unnecessary for Lunars to be exposed to the gruesome chaotic things of the cosmos, and warnings spread throughout their teachings admonish the unprepared to stay off those dismal paths. The more awful manifestations of chaos, such as the Crimson Bat, are no more loved by loyal Lunar citizens than they are by the Empire's enemies." - CoP, Seven Mothers cult, "Lunars and Chaotic Balance".

Also, the degree of Lunar control of Prax drops sharply away from the Moonbroth-to-Pavis road and the Pavis-to-Corflu river: the road (and northern Prax) is controlled by their Sable allies, and the river valley by settled peoples (Pavis County, Sun County and the Grantlands). IIRC, south-west Prax (around the Block) is now High Llama country, and south-east Prax (the Defender's Shore) is mostly Morokanth land. The Bison and Impala Tribes are off scouring the Wastes, and the minor tribes aren't significant on this scale.

Nick