Odds and ends

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 13:33:28 +1200

Jukka Alanen:

>What kind of a places are Humakti temples and how common are they?

Temples to Humakt are common in cities in Sartar but they are small. They tend to be hiring halls for mercenaries etc. The Lunars tolerate Humakt to some extent but some elements are anti-lunar and are thus outlawed. Some Tribes (particularly the Malani) rever Humakt and he would take a more tribal aspect there.

>What is the Humakt Lead Cross HeroQuest?

A Heroquest which involves the massacre of innocent healers. It is banned as a Captial Crime in Sartar. The Lead Cross is supposedly mentioned in Plunder! (RQ-II publication).

John Brown:

>I still have one problem though and that's believing the Red Goddess has
>agreed to the Compromise. Like I said before, in the Orlanth and The Red
>Goddess story in KoS, it is only obvious that the Red Goddess only received
>recognition as a deity.

I wouldn't take the metaphysical ramifications in KoS too seriously. The story of how the Red Moon became a Divinity is told from the PoV of those who had fought against her and lost. Admitting that she has become part of the Compromise (or Natural Universe) would be the equivalent of rubbing salt into their wounds. OTOH alleging that she cheated would make their defeat more palatable.

As the Apology for the Devil points out 'We must remember that we have only heard one side of the story. God has written all the books'.

Nils Weinander:

>>and it would be next to impossible for the other Malkioni to hate
>>the Blues [if they were merely amoral vulcans].

>Why? I would sure hate anyone who used as gruesome servants as brown
>and red Vadeli.

But the Brithini killed off the Reds and the Blues and yet left the Browns to live. If the Blues were not all that bad, why were they exterminated instead of the Browns?

Michael Cule:

>Firstly Greg said that while mortal beings have 6 parts to them, the
>gods have seven and that's one of the secrets the Red Goddess had to
>discover to acheive her own god-hood.

>I got to thinking: there are six elements known in Glorantha. Darkness,
>Water, Earth, Fire/Sky, Storm and Moon. Shouldn't there be a seventh?
>Is there a seventh, hidden element?

Wrong elements IMO. Greg's actually referring to the Making of Man myth in the GRAY. The six elements are Shapes (Dendara), Warmth (Lodril), Beast (Oria), Shadow (unknown)*, Sight (Yelm) and Bird (Dayzatar). The seventh element is the Nysalor Portion and the Goddess of that is the Red Goddess herself. There's a chart in the RQ-CON II Compendium which should explain it more fully.

[*] The Other Goddess is _not_ Gorgorma. Gorgorma is however a pretty good approximation of what she is like.