Glorantha as a model for world design

From: Guy Hoyle <guyhoyle_at_chrysalis.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 00:33:23 -0400

Forgive the cross-post, but I couldn't make up my mind about which mailing list this actually belongs on.

Glorantha is one of the truly unique worlds in RPGs today, and I've always wanted to construct a world of my own with a similar depth of character. However, identifying what is uniquely Gloranthan (and therefore not to be co-opted into my own world) is often difficult; if I wanted to run a Glorantha clone I'd be better off just running my own Glorantha campaign. What techniques went into Glorantha's construction that can be adapted to other fantasy worlds? What aspects set it apart from other fantasy worlds?

Some areas for discussion that seem to have much potential are:
- --Monomyth vs multiple Myths

Thoughts?