Seven and more queries....

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 19:35:14 GMT

Peter Metcalfe kindly replies to my intitial query but rather misses the point:

> >Firstly Greg said that while mortal beings have 6 parts to them, the
> >gods have seven and that's one of the secrets the Red Goddess had to
> >discover to acheive her own god-hood.
>
> >I got to thinking: there are six elements known in Glorantha. Darkness,
> >Water, Earth, Fire/Sky, Storm and Moon. Shouldn't there be a seventh?
> >Is there a seventh, hidden element?
>
> Wrong elements IMO. Greg's actually referring to the Making of Man
> myth in the GRAY.

Yes, yes. I understand that. But what I was saying was: with the prevelance of the number seven in Gloranthan myth, why are there only six elements?

I don't like the suggestion of Chaos as an element. Chaos is the opposite of any structured substance.

And given the tying of elements to senses, might not the hidden element be tied to the God-Learner sense: RuneQuest Vision.

(Remind me to post my list of guesses at the GL secret one of these days...)

More thoughts and queries after re-reading GRoY and The Fortunate Succession:

Pleontius says that Yelm has been restored to the skies by the ascension of a properly invested Emperor. The Fortunate Succession seems to say that it didn't happen until the SunStop. Which is true? Is either true? What do modern Yelmies believe?

Are there any Republics on Glorantha? If not, why not? It can't be mythological reasons. The Greek city states tied their constitutions into their mythology very strongly.

And when Pleontius says he received the secret of the pre-dawn chronology with aid of the god Ten, am I the only one who thinks simultaneously of SESAME STREET ("Today's mystical revalation is brought to you by the number Ten and the colour Blue....") and Tien.

And when he tells us the figure for the length of Yelm's reign came from a poet is that poet supposed to be pre or post Dawn? (I have horrible difficulty with the idea of Time before Time....)

And finally is the Red Goddess of the modern age fully identified with Sedenya the Red Moon-Related Goddess who was destroyed by one of the early Emperors? Was Merinita (the city she crashed on) the same site as modern Glamour?

Oh, what a lot of questions.....

AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop of the Far Isles Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistando (Resistance is Uslesss) Ask me about the Far Isles Medieval Society: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.