Re: Lightbringers

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 23:17:30 -0700

I'm back after being removed from the Digest list a couple times...

I'm not sure this message made it, so I'll post again. If so, I apologize, and just to have some new content, I've posted Jeff Richard's Orlanth cult (and subcults) to
<http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/todp/orlanth.html>; there's also a new ToDP campaign report.

Ian Whitchurch wrote

> Yep, there is no universal set of Lightbringers. Different cultures have
> different lightbringers - I think Humath gets a gurnsey in Ralios, for
> example.

I have no idea what this means. I do think it's possible that Humath is a Ralian Lightbringer (though that's not yet my official position).

> the Lightbringers Quest is about the
> missionaries of that council going into the lands of darkness with the
> hopeful news of the coming of the Sun, and of Peace

This cheapens the myth, which is about redemption. The LBQ is central to Orlanthi belief. Orlanth screwed up big time. Orlanth fixed things. Humans likewise should be responsible. This has nothing to do with missionary work.

When Harmast repeated the quest, he really did go to the edge of the world (and meet Rausa).

Simon Phipp wrote

> Don't tell me that Shamans are not out to become powerful

In the real world, lots of people become shamans almost involuntarily -- they're Called.

Robert McArthur wondered why the Lunars don't mine the Block. I think most Praxians let the Lunars "occupy" Prax because it's a fairly meaningless thing to do. Yeah, they (and their allies) get to hang out in Prax intead of the worse areas of the Waste, but that sort of thing happens all the time. What happens in Pavis has little import as well. Start upsetting the balance by messing with the Block and the tribes will react.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> NO ZUKES! Stop zucchini proliferation.