more vadeli thots

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 00:26:03 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner:

>Just a question: If Hrestol found refuge with the Vadeli on the (not
>New?) Vadeli Isles, how comes that he left no traces of his lectures
>there, but on the New Vadeli Isles? Were his followers forcibly
>emigrated after Hrestol had gone to meet his martyrdom?

Or perhaps they decided to settle the newfound lands after the Opening. The mainland is hardly open to colonization and their unreformed kith occupy all the ghettos. After years of abuse by forced co-habitation, they decide to make the big shift.

>What was Horal's caste crime? Did he aspire to lordship? Did he
>give orders?

He wanted to be a wizard.

Vadeli Thots and Rumours:

Continuing on the example set by Loren.

  1. The God Learner Error was caused by the Vadeli forging documents that purported to come from the Kingdom of Logic (a la Dead Sea Scrolls). Rumours persist that Malkion did not condemn ursury.
  2. The Vadeli Castes are not uniform. They also vary the secrets known by the family. Frex, Browns are not observed to carry 'elemental weapons' but rely on a bizarre hodgepodge. This is not because 'elemental weapons' are prohibited to them but because each brown family generally only knows weapon magic for one type of weapon. The most powerful brown families were those that used the elemental weapons. But after the war with the Brithini, these families were all killed (as well as the ones which could command ships).
  3. Some recorded aspects of the Blues was their mastery over swarms of insects. They did allowing maggots to reside underneath their skin and feed on the Blues. This could be seen by outsiders as sudden distortions of the skin. When the maggots matured, since they had eaten of the Blue, they became subject to its will. A modified version of this is used with the tinimits and is how I think the Blue in Elder Secrets controls them (I don't think people like him would start appearing until 1625+ ST).
  4. Since the Vadeli recognize blood, excrement and corpses as elements, they have spells allowing the conjuring of the corresponding element. No Corpsular Elemental has been observed in recent times. Reports of a large humanoid figure which smelt of fresh shit and had blaphemous sigils engraved on its forehead have been made for centuries in places near Vadeli Ghettos. No detailed reports have been made of Blood Elementals - - the lack of survivors is the cause.
  5. Blues have some ability to transmigrate their breath. Breathing into a corpse freshly dead (the kiss must be deep and airtight) animates it. Having too many zombies leaves them breathless...
  6. Browns are reported to be able to turn muck into brass. Certain families are said to make a living by scrounging for filth. They then turn the filth into fresh brass which has an unwholesome odour. They can make weapons and armour from this brass. Most of the muck goes towards making coins which are legal tender (because it keeps the streets clean) and are worth a clack. When people empty chamberpots from the streets, they shout 'Vadel-Loo' to alert the Browns that filth is ready to be carted off.
  7. Red Vadeli are said to be able to smell split blood from afar. This allows them to find ships in the open seas. Rumours allege they can see the warmth of blood in the dark also.
    • --Peter Metcalfe