Cragspider Solara, Blue (moon) Vadeli, Vadeli & Uz

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 23:27:08 +0100

In Digest #122 Daniel Fahey argues

>Cragspider became Arachne
>Solara, but still exists in her castle, which reaches into both planes.

I know there is some conection between Arachne Solara and the Cult of Aranea, and between Cragspider and the Cult, but not of a more direct link between the Firewitch and the Mother of Time!

We know little of Cragspider - She was born before time and "Even the dragons were not sure of her ancestry, for she lived in her mountain long before they were hatched" (WB&RM). She has a Dragon as an ally due to favours she did it before time. She was probably not born a troll(1), but underwent the Ritual of Rebirth, and emerged as a Dark Troll. She subsequently Heroquested to return Troll fertility to its "Golden Age" level - ie the birth of Mistress Race Trolls, but only managed the creation of the Strong but stupid Great Trolls, many of which still follow her. She can still be found in her castle in Dagori Inkarth and will take part in the Hero Wars, leading Troll Armies, and casting mighty fire magics.

(1) The Miscellanea in White Bear & Red Moon contains a myth of a God called "Soul Arranger" - one of the Lawgivers, who arranged the future populations of most men. After dealing with the east, the south, and the west he rested at what became Dragon Pass before spreading "his seed and his word" in the north [Anyone any idea whose myth this is? or who Soul Arranger is?]. The Duchy of The Blue Moon, however was never planned by the Soul Arranger "Who had been seduced away from his work by a masterful witch nymph later called Cragspider." I find it hard to equate Nymph with Troll!

This same passage goes on to talk about the inhabitants of the Duchy of the Blue Moon as being "children of the Blue Moon, an unborn deity decaying in it's mothers bowels." - Does this remind you of any recent topic of discussion in the digest? - You've all been looking to the West for Vadeli, and they are behind you all along!

Mind you, you can take this God-Learner parallels too far, - it has just occured to me that Brown Vadeli have to eat their children, and Kygor Litor cultists have to eat family members, Red Vadeli are cruel and viscious warriors, and Zorak Zorani favour red clothing, and some mysterious, virtually unknown Trolls worship the Blue Moon - Obviously Vadeli are either wannabe Trolls or Trolls cursed to look like humans!

| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk                      |
| What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations?            |