Re: Lightbringers in Ygg's Isles

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 96 13:13:54 -0500

Guy Hoyle
>I haven't discussed this part with Sandy, but I think that the
>Lightbringer influence on Trond has been a pretty constant thing,
>since the Yggs Isles are on the edge of western Genertela, a natural
>stop on the Lightbringers' Quest.

Peter M.

>I doubt it. Only Argrath has actually stopped at the Ygg's Isles on

>the LBQ.

Doubt away to your peril. There have been hundreds, even thousands, of Lightbringer Quests since the Dawn. Going on the first one or two stages of the Quest has been accomplished by important folks from every Theyalan-influenced culture in Glorantha. And those from Fronela stop at Ygg's Isles.

        Fronela is one of the least-known Storm Pantheon cultures, but the barbarians who dwell here are clearly culturally related to those in Ralios, Peloria, and Wenelia.

        Before the Closing, Ygg's Islands had contact with four main religious groups:

  1. Malkioni -- the Hrestoli, primarily cultural enemies, hold little appeal to the Yglinga. Particularly as they propagate a highly structured society alien to the Yglinga ways. The other Malkioni encountered by the Yglinga were Brithini and Vadeli (I know the Vadeli aren't "real" Malkioni. I doubt the Yglinga make a distinction.)
  2. Hsunchen -- the most important being the reindeer and bear folk. But no one converts to a Hsunchen religion.
  3. Non-humans -- including Ouori mermen, green elves, and snow trolls. Again, not a reasonable source of conversion.
  4. Theyalans -- the gods are easily adapted to the Yglinga way of life. Theyalans, at least in the first age, were reasonably missionary-oriented. Their cultural luggage is acceptable to barbarian ways. And the Theyalan pantheon largely parallels the Ygg pantheon.

Sandy