Re: LBQ & Yelm

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 96 13:24:43 -0500

Michael Raaterova
>There are pretty few universal [myth-]phenomena, but Sacred Time and
>IFWW are both universal, which, frex, the LBQ is not. Sure, Yelm got
>resurrected all over the lozenge, but not everyone agrees on how he
>pulled that trick.

        Greg is now thinking that I Fought We Won might have only been in the Dragon Pass area. I think he's wrong, and that it is universal, or at least _was_. It is possible that it has been forgotten in some lands.

        The LBQ is, of course, not universal at all, but is restricted to the Storm Pantheon. However, many other pantheons have quests which reflect _other_ parts of that same adventure. For instance, a Yelm worshiper, if killed, go to Hell, and force the murderer to come to him to seek forgiveness and then return with him to life. This isn't the LBQ, but it is obviously connected to it.

        Note that the LBQ itself doesn't cover the whole adventure -- very little takes place for the Lightbringer team during the meeting in Hell, the victory over Chaos, the Compromise, and the return to Dawn, over half the quest!

        To complete the entire story of this crucial moment in Gloranthan time, you probably need every single religion in Glorantha participating. For instance, Storm Bull must slay the Devil at just the right time, so the Devil's soul gets to Hell to encounter Arachne Solara. Leave this out, and the Compromise can't be completed.

        Now, while Michael mentions that "Yelm was resurrected all over the lozenge", even this is not so. Everyone whose mythology goes back far enough to remember the sun's death agrees that the sun vanished for a while, then rose again. But not everyone agrees that this was a death-and-resurrection. Some groups believe that the original sun was killed, and that a new sun is now in the sky.

        The East Islanders believe that the old Sun is in the Dreamworld, and that every night, he fathers a new Sun. The new Sun then rises and falls in the course of a day, and then remains with the father. Thus, every day is literally a new day for them, and sometimes their prophets predict a particularly good or ill Sun will be rising on some particular day. Thus, there were bad omens just before the Sunstop, and it was clear that something was Wrong with the upcoming sun.

Sandy P.