red goddess

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 01:44:55 +0800

>After all, it
>is common knowledge that the Red Goddess dwells on the Moon which is on the
>mundane plane. I think this clearly violates the Compromise. If she accepted
>it (the Compromise), wouldn't she have to surrender her free will to act
>directly on the mundane plane and go live on the god plane? I don't see the
>red orb in the Middle Air as the god plane. Does anybody else?

        Don't think of the 'planes' as planes in the A D&D sense - the Red Moon, like The Eternal Battle, various places in the sky, various basements that go directly into Hell, Kero Fin, Mount Jernotius, and many another place is for most purposes on both the mundane and God planes at the same time. The Red Orb is definately a big red lump of rock that hangs in the mundane sky. It is also a magical place, filled with heroquest style beings and gods. There is no contradiction here.

        The other thing I want to say is that if the Red Goddes was not considered part of 'the Compromise' or however they think of it in Peloria, then surely the battles begun at Castle Blue would still be going on?

Dara Happans
>but why would Yelm membership be waived in the outlying cities? It would seem
>far better for Yelm membership to be a prerequisite for citizenship
>throughout Dara Happa, whether in the Tripolis or the outlying cities -

        I think the Yelm cult is important in most of the minor cities of Dara Happa too.

> after
>all, they are not barbarians in the provinces.

        yes, they are barbarians in the provinces. And most of the provinces are not Citizens - they are Citizen Foreigners, which has different legal status in Dara Happa. I think the Lunar Citizenship that Pam refers to is what the Dara Happans would call Citizen Foreigner status. Which everyone but the Dara Happans don't bother to distinguish.

        And the outlying satrapies are generally not ruled by Yelm worshippers, either - often the nobility is either thoroughly Lunarised (especially in the case of the noble lines established by the Red Emperor), or has a veneer of Lunar worship over their worship of locally important gods.

>Of course, women can't be Dara
>Happan Citizens because they cannot worship Yelm, but they have other
>stisfying and demanding roles to play in society.

        Yes, I think 'Female Citizen' is a different status to that of Citizen. Many of the same benefits, though (both men and women get tried by Yelmic magistrates, for example). And the Lunars, in good Lunar style, probably don't distinguish between male and female Citizen Foreigners.

Lunar mysteries
>Firstly he said that while mortal beings have 6 parts to them, the gods
>have seven and that's one of the secrets the Red Goddess had to
>discover to acheive her own god-hood.

        I thought the seventh part was illumination - to be sevened is to be illuminated - and not all gods have it (the Red Goddess and Yelm do, at least). Or perhaps a Red Goddess insight is that all the gods are illuminated, but most of them do not know it? (or this aspect is unknown to their worshippers)

cheers

        David