roleplaying ourselves

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 08:14:41 -0500

John Brown
>Role-playing a character that is nothing like us will be replaced with
>playing ourselves in the fantasy/real world.

Al Petterson
> No. It's roleplay of archetypes that represent something about
> ourselves, intended or not.

        I think that you two guys are on the opposite ends of the spectrum, and that the majority of us are on the grey scale in-between. The majority of the characters I have played across many game systems have drew partly, if not largely, on what I would have done or thought in that particular context. These characters reflected 'me', to some extent.

        But not always; sometimes the game background doesn't encourage it. ShadowRun or other cyber-punk type games have a very hard edge on them, and charcters are often without much (if any) redeeming value. If any one wants to suggest that SR characters are cathartic & allow for people/gamers to blow off steam, fine by me. But my old bounty-hunting character that never brought them back alive was hardly a fair image of what I am like.

        Heroquesting is another grey-scale area. Most HQ'rs want to accomplish a heavy-duty goal (if it wasn't tough, an HQ wouldn't be necessary).   Look at Cragspider's attempt to restore Uz fertility. But the path to the goal can include self-discovery. Lunar/Dara Happan myths speak of Yelm and the RMG as confronting their 'Other'. And if the goal is Illumination, than that particular 'goal' is naturally one of selfexploration.

Nick Brooke:
> Is Chaos an Element?

        <snip>
> Earth is the "third" element and has Four Corners (Gata, Empress Earth,
> Earth Witch and Genert).

        Aren't you leaving out Pamalt? Some of the other elements look off to me as well, though I can't put my finger on it right away. I think your list was interesting, but it feels 'fudged' to me.

                Andrew Joelson

PS Orlanth-Cola, official sponsor of Glorantha Con IV!

	 Rosemont, Illinois   Jan 24-26, 1997
	Orlanth-Cola, a real Windy City drink!

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #134